Looking for an easy-to-use Christian language arts curriculum? Pathways2.0 has you covered with a comprehensive literature-based approach that promotes critical thinking, flexibility, and faith development. Better yet, all of this happens through the step-by-step instructions provided in the Daily Lesson Guide. Ready to hear more?
*I received a free copy of Pathways2.0 for review purposes and was compensated for my time reviewing this product and writing this review. I was not required to write a positive review and all opinions are my own.*
I’m not sure I’ll ever understand why faith-based curriculum options often get a bad rap. For whatever reason, there’s an implication that a curriculum can’t be academically solid, but also be Biblically-based.
This crazy notion couldn’t be further from the truth. That’s why I want to introduce you to Pathways2.0 Reading and Language Arts.
Pathways2.0: A Christian Language Arts Solution for Your Homeschool
My kids and I are no strangers to Kendall Hunt RPD and their line of Pathways2.0 Reading and Language Arts for Grades 1-8. I used Pathways with my now-9th grader several years ago and was immediately struck by the detailed language arts instruction combined with strong character emphasis and Christian values.
A few years later I used Pathways2.0 with my youngest kiddo. Despite my previous positive experience, I was unsure how a traditionally-structured curriculum like Pathways2.0 would work with her Charlotte Mason-inspired homeschool life.
It turned out that our second experience with Pathways2.0 was just as helpful as the first. Even with its traditional package, this Christian reading and language arts curriculum was a welcomed addition to our literature-based homeschool routine.
All that to say, I didn’t have to think twice about incorporating Pathways2.0 into our homeschool lineup again. But before I tell you what I appreciate the most, here’s a quick overview of this open-and-go language arts curriculum.
Pathways2.0 Reading and Language Arts Overview
Award-winning tradebooks are the foundation of Pathways 2.0 Reading and Language Arts. This foundation of engaging books not only encourages a love of reading, it also emphasizes critical thinking and creativity along with purposeful reading and attentiveness.
This all happens through nine themed units that combine the tradebooks with language arts components like reading, writing, vocabulary, and spelling. These themes are cross-curricular and range from spiritual development and personal growth to cultural challenges and environmental concerns.
- Heroes uses biography-style books about remarkable people who faced challenges and overcame them.
- My World selections provide insight into different political settings and cultures.
- Living Things uses literature selections that emphasize Creation and the natural world.
- Walking with God units feature books with main characters that demonstrate what following Christ looks like.
- Friends and Family focuses on relationships and how our individual actions can greatly impact those around us.
- Environment units encourage appreciation for the environment and responsibility to care for God’s creation.
- Personal Feelings units focus on growth by helping kids explore their experiences, struggles, and potential along with their relationships with God.
- Yesterday units and their books explore historical eras and happenings.
- Social Issues units highlight issues like social injustice, prejudice, immigration, and death through age-appropriate resources and discussion.
A PSA on Tradebooks
Not familiar with the concept of tradebooks as used in these units? In homeschool speak, they’re books — not textbooks — used to spark interest, inform the reader, and encourage further exploration, but written with families like yours and mine in mind.
You might even say tradebooks and living books are the same. In fact, the primary difference involves the labels themselves. The living books label is usually used in homeschool circles, while the label of tradebook is used in classroom settings. That’s why many of the Pathways2.0 tradebooks also show up in Charlotte Mason and classical reading lists.
Step-by-Step Language Arts Instruction
Now that you know more about the basic structure for Pathways2.0, let’s dig in to how it can help you teach language arts in your homeschool.
Although Pathways2.0 was written with classrooms in mind, the Teacher Daily Lesson Guide shines in a homeschool setting. I’m currently using the Social Issues Guide for Grade 2 with my daughter, so I’ll use it for reference.
Along with the Social Issues Guide, this unit includes Helen Keller: Courage in the Dark and all the printables needed for the unit. Worth noting, these printables are reproducible. That means you can use these units with your other children without paying extra for more worksheets.
The guide itself introduces Helen Keller, the Bible verses connected to this unit (Isaiah 58:6-7,10), and the specific faith connections woven into the social issues theme. The faith connections in this theme focus on an essential question:
In what ways does God call us to respond to the needs of others?Pathways2.0
These faith connections also highlight this big idea for the unit:
God is worshipped when we react compassionately to the turmoil in our world.Pathways2.0
Knowing these elements from the very beginning helped me know what to look for and draw out as I worked through the lessons and explored Helen Keller’s life with my daughter.
Open-and-Go Christian Language Arts
Perhaps my favorite thing about the Daily Lesson Guide is the detailed instruction it provides. Each time we’ve used Pathways2.0, I’ve discovered an abundance of guidance and options for teaching. That’s exactly what makes it so easily adapted for homeschool families.
Some kids need more help grasping concepts than others and some parents want a curriculum option with every element planned and ready to go. Pathways2.0 allows homeschooling parents to take as much guidance as needed and customize these language arts plans however needed.
From the Weekly At-a-Glance overviews to the detailed daily lesson plans with instructions for reading, writing, and word study, there’s no guesswork involved and there’s no need to supplement.
Everything I need — resource suggestions, scripted lessons, answer keys, and assessment tips — is all there waiting for me in the guide. That saves me tons of time when preparing for my weeks and working through our daily homeschool plans.
Bottom Line: Pathways2.0 Reading and Language Arts is a wonderful option for Christian homeschool families who want to incorporate literature-based learning without sacrificing structure and quality.
Where to Find Pathways2.0 Reading and Language Arts
Ready to learn more about this faith-based language arts curriculum? Head to the Pathways2.0 website to order or explore themes and literature selections for each grade level. The Pathways2.0 digital brochure is also a great place to start.
Lastly, I invite you to check out these posts to learn more about Kendall Hunt RPD and their offerings:
- Kindergarten Stepping Stones
- A Mom’s Review of Pathways Language Arts
- Gifted Language Arts
- Pathways Language Arts
- By Design Science
- 10 Items to Stockpile During Back to School Sales - July 16, 2020
- Dollar Store Finds for Summer Homeschool Learning - May 26, 2020
- Pathways2.0: Step-by-Step Reading and Language Arts for Christian Homeschoolers - April 17, 2020
- 10 Incredible Independence Day Ideas for Your Homeschool - June 1, 2018
- 3 Whimsically Wonderful Ways to Homeschool with Roald Dahl - April 25, 2017
- 10 Christmas Activities for Homeschooling - December 13, 2016
- 10 Easy Ways to Incorporate Art into Your Homeschool Day - March 8, 2016