♪ If you go down in the woods today, you’re sure of a big surprise.
If you go down in the woods today, you’d better go in disguise! ♪
July 10th is the official Teddy Bears’ Picnic Day. Based on the popular children’s song “The Teddy Bears’ Picnic”, it is a whimsical celebration of our childhood stuffed toys. The music to this song was first written in 1907 by American composer John W. Bratton, and British songwriter Jimmy Kennedy added the lyrics in 1930.
It is unclear how or when this holiday originated, but it has been embraced by families all over the world as a beloved yearly tradition. Round up your friends – real and stuffed – and go on a Teddy Bears’ Picnic!
Plan Your Teddy Bears’ Picnic
♪ Ev’ry Teddy Bear who’s been good is sure of a treat today.
There’s lots of marvelous things to eat and wonderful games to play. ♪
Before you go on a teddy bears’ picnic, you need to spruce up your favorite teddy bear. Fluff his fur and maybe tie on a fancy bow. Remind him to practice his manners.
You will want to pack some scrumptious treats for your outing. Make sure you have some of your teddy’s favorites!
Items you could include:
- peanut butter & honey sandwiches
- bear claw pastries
- teddy bear graham cookies
- honeycomb cereal
- gummy bears
- chamomile tea
A teddy bear picnic isn’t complete without a few games. Play hide and seek with your bear (but don’t forget where you hid him). Feeling brave? Go on a bear hunt.
Activities for Teddy Bears’ Picnic Day
♪ If you go down to the woods today, you’d better not go alone!
It’s lovely down in the woods today, but safer to stay at home! ♪
Your fun doesn’t have to end once the picnic is over. Add some of these teddy bear activities to your day.
1. Listen to famous recordings of “The Teddy Bears’ Picnic”:
- Black Diamonds Band (1908)
- Henry Hall and His Orchestra (1932)
- Bing Crosby
- Rosemary Clooney
- Anne Murray
- Jerry Garcia
2. Learn about the history of the teddy bear.
3. Make a list of famous bears.
4. Use you favorite teddy bears to fill in some graphic organizers.
5. Make a bear cave by draping some blankets over a table.
6. Whip up a batch of honeycomb candy.
7. Play an alphabet game. “I am going on a teddy bear picnic and I am taking… (an Apple, a Bear, a Cupcake, etc.)
After a full day of food and frolics, your teddy will be ready for bed. Wipe any crumbs off of his mouth and tuck him in tightly. Don’t forget a goodnight kiss!
♪ For every bear that ever there was will gather there for certain,
Because today’s the day the Teddy Bears have their picnic. ♪